Thursday, April 11, 2019

What happened

I don't have a card today so you can skip this if you want. I've been without my computer for a few days. It was having some kind of fit and caused me to have one too. The screen would jump all over, wouldn't let me click out and when the cursor was on the x the screen would disappear and several new ones would pop up. I called Comcast (sigh) and they checked and said everything was okay. They gave me the number for HP support. I called and told them what it was doing. He said "Oh, you have a virus or malware on it". "We can fix that as so as we get you signed up".  Signed up for what? "Well, it's a one time charge of $35. then 14.99/month for a year". In other words a service package. I really wasn't sure that was what was wrong so I said I'd wait and hung up. When I logged back on later in the day, it worked fine. Then it didn't.

Yesterday I took it to Staples where I bought it. He ran a diagnostic test and found no virus or malware. He tried several things and could find nothing wrong. He did update windows and it is fine. He said sometimes it's the mouse, wifi or any other interference. They did not charge me at all and it was good to go.  I just wanted you to know there are other options. I'm glad my inner intuition kicked in before I signed up with them. I hate for other people to take control of my computer. They may try to copy my cards! That's my PSA for today.

While I was trying to get things working, each time I clicked on something it disappeared so if I don't visit your blog, please stop in and comment so I can put your blog back. That is my worst nightmare to lose all my friends.

I have a busy couple of days today and tomorrow but I hope to catch up with visiting and commenting soon. For everyone in the path of this current blizzard and high winds please be safe and stay in. Verna, I'm thinking of you and hope you don't have to be out.

Be kind to one another.




16 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

Don't you just hate computer glitches. I have to hand my computer over to my husband occasional or I'd have to throw it through the window. I have no absolutely computer fixing skills :)

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Oh yeah....I have had problems too. Could not get my yahoo emails yesterday, tried all sorts of things to get to my emails. Finally went to the main menu...and found all my emails, of course things have changed but I even found emails I thought were deleted....pretty amazing. Now today I was able to go to my email the regular way.....I don't know, I think sometimes we are getting hacked....but they give up. I know I need to renew my subscription for Norton....keep putting it off and they keep reminding me. I wonder if that is the reason, Norton is showing me what will happen if I don't renew asap!!!Wish I was a genius when it comes to computers. Will be doing a blog pretty soon. Have some cards to show, drop by.

Kara Lynne said...

I think you should give yourself your April 2nd posted card! So glad you took it into Staples!

Cathy said...

Glad your local guy was able to help with your computer glitch Brenda. Sometimes they just play up!Have a great week, Cathy x

jimlynn said...

Sometimes computers are nothing but a nightmare. Hope all is straightened out now Brenda. We wouldn't know what to do without them but sometimes we don't know what to do with them either!!
Lynn

Lisa said...

Oh gosh, I'm glad you didn't have to pay the monthly fees. How frustrating. They don't make computers to last anymore. I go through almost one a year!! So glad you got it fixed. Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Greta said...

Thank goodness for Staples! I made the mistake of signing up for something to fix a problem years ago & ended up at Staples where everything was actually taken care of. Now they're the only people I trust. Glad it's working again--gremlins, I suppose--haha!

Carol L said...

I'm glad you got your pc fixed at Staples. Mine was giving me fits yesterday too. Every sentence I typed put the first letter at the end of the sentence. It was maddening and I'd just gotten an automatic MS update installed. What I did to fix my problem was clear the cache and cookies, and rebooted and everything started working normally again. So glad I didn't have to take mine somewhere to be fixed!

Brenda said...

That is so weird at how your computer is acting Brenda! Electronics are wonderful...when they work like they should, but when they don't, they can drive you crazy! I'm so glad you went with your gut and didn't sign up for anything you didn't need! I am also glad that Staples was able to run everything and find out that everything was fine with your computer. Just so weird the way it was acting, but again.....electronics and so much can interfere with electronics. Sometimes mine acts weird too. I'm trying to catch up as well Brenda. Been busy here but now I'm just looking for some down days this weekend with the "girls". Hugs, Brenda

Maria said...

Sorry to hear about your computer problems! We rely on our son for all our computer woes. He lives a couple hours away, so we have to wait at Itmes, but he gets the job done. It’s great that Staples helped you out. I’ll keep that in mind. Take care and have a great weekend!

Bonnie said...

Computer problems are on of life's biggest frustrations and I think a leading cause of high blood pressure. Maybe causing some of that violence too! Glad you are up and working well again.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wow that was a weird experience with your computer. I never heard of such a thing. I hope it works well for you now. I know I get very frustrated when mine acts up too. As for us, we are weathering the storm inside as much as we can. Only hubby did go out and try to clean a bit of the snow off where we drive as it was already a foot deep then. So today we hope it all ends and we can clean out more. We were just starting to see the grass green up and now everything is white again. LOL Such is life in the Dakotas I guess. At least a town about 60 miles from us made the national news. Watertown is where we go fairly often as it is a bigger town and has some doctors we need to visit occasionally.

oldpunca said...

I think that there were enough problems with the technology for this year for you. :-)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs, Sonja

Darnell said...

Oh, bother, I can't believe you had to call Comcast again, Brenda! Thank goodness you used your great woman's intuition and didn't take the bait! I'm so glad Staples got you fixed up!! It sounds like you must be south of the cyclone, so that answers that question I had and another reason to be glad! Finally, and most importantly, through it all you did not lose me as a friend! PHEW!! Hope the rest of your weekend is uneventful!!! Hugs, Darnell

cotnob said...

Glad you got everything sorted Brenda, it's a good job you trusted your intuition.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Mac Mable said...

So glad everything is OK now and well done you to trust your intuition x