Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Quick update

Hi friends,

I just wanted to tell you what's been going on lately. It was a wonderful Easter with a huge surprise. I went to my son's house and after I got inside they said there was something they wanted to show me. We went to the back door and out popped out my grandson. He got leave to fly home for four days and it was so great to see him.

Things went downhill from then. First, I found out several of the Easter cards I sent didn't get there and that makes me sad.. Postage is going up again but they can't deliver a few letters! Then I have been researching how to cut the cable since they raised my monthly bill $38. However, life intervened and I haven't had to chance to do it but I did call and they lowered the monthly fee. That sounds so simple but I had to call so many times to get a real person to talk to to get that done. 

I'll recap quickly - I have had ants in the kitchen and had to go get spray. Toilet handle broke and had to go back to home improvement store and get a new one. Garbage disposal backed up and that was nasty. These are things I never wanted to know how to do. Spent several days cleaning up that mess. Yesterday after I ate lunch I went to rinse off my plate and heard dripping. Opened cabinet under sink and had three inches of standing water and a covering of black "stuff". I called a plumber immediately and he was here within an hour. Disposal was leaking and I don't know how long. He replaced it and called a mold remediator and he was here within thirty minutes! He took scrapings and will let me know if it's sludge or mold. Cabinet will be rebuilt either way and that will take several days. It caused me to miss my monthly zoom with dear friends.  He came back this morning to take air samples and the machine wouldn't work so he will be back this afternoon to try again. We did not sleep well last night because of storms and one of us is afraid of storms and has to be held.

I have made no cards and may not make one today. I have decided NOT to get out of bed tomorrow.

Sweet old lady? More like a battle tested warrior queen!

Be kind to one another.




13 comments:

Loll said...

Oh my gosh, Brenda. That is so much to deal with. You have powered through and are doing great, my friend. Keep going!! Let's focus on the positive ... how exciting to have an unexpected visit with your grandson. That is awesome! And cuddles with Daisy is always a good thing. :) Take care dear friend. Sending loving thoughts that things will settle for you soon. Love you, Lolly

Glennis F said...

My goodness Brenda, that is more than enough for one person to deal with!
Hopefully there will be better times ahead

Cathy said...

They say things come in lots of three, so hopefully that's your lot done Brenda! I hope things go smoothly for you from now on. A day in bed sounds like a great idea to regroup. Take care, Cathy x

Christine Alexander said...

oh Brenda, I'm so glad you got to see your Grandson but then you've had such a horrid time. You must have used up all your bad luck and now things will get better from this point onward ♥

Susan said...

Brenda, I'm so sorry to hear about all those things going wrong - what a trial! No wonder you haven't made any cards lately and you missed our Zoom (we missed you!). But I'm glad there was a high point when you got to see your grandson.

LesleyG said...

Oh boy, talk about a bucket full of issues! Have no idea how you coped with all that, I guess seeing your Grandson gave you a well timed boost! You know what they say, it can only get better. I think you deserve a “duvet day”……have a good rest. Sending blog hugs xxx

Carol L said...

On the bright side, you got a wonderful surprise in seeing your grandson for Easter and even though the cards and letters didn't make it where you sent them, seeing your DGS in person was a better option. As far as the home owner's blues - when it rains it pours. I've had similar situations with plumbing issues, toilet replacement, corroded valves and leaks, but now I have a critter of some kind in my basement that I need to figure out how to get rid of. It's always something with a homeowner for sure. Just take deep breaths and you'll get through this. Cardmaking will just have to wait! Look for that rainbow after all these storms, it will be there :) Hugs! xo

Trina P. said...

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry for all your troubles after a wonderful Easter surprise!
Wishing you a turn around with all good things to come. Take care. .

Greta said...

How many reminders do we need that life isn't fair?!!! So, so sorry you have to deal with these yucko issues! We had ants and it really grossed me out! I'm afraid poor Daisy has more scary nights from the forecasts I've seen. But, how over the top wonderful to see your grandson! Big virtual hugs, my friend!

Bonnie said...

You have had the worst week, my friend! We missed you and I hope we can catch up soon. I hope Daisy held you tight through the storms so you weren't too scared!

Darnell said...

All I know is, our friends think I'm a big fat liar because I told them you missed our zoom because the plumber was there and it was not a "big issue." Boy, things certainly can turn on a dime, can't they? And then it turns into "when it rains, it pours!" All I can do is send you big squishy virtual hugs of support and prayers that things will not turn back around and the clouds will part. And that the test comes back as negative for black mold.🙏🫶Darnell

Megan J said...

Hi Brenda, your place sounds like ours! One thing after another, first came the discovery of mould then the clean-up and removal of ceiling, then the roofer replacing the 'valley' of the roof and waiting for rain to test it, now we can put the ceiling back up and the wood fire is unable to be lit as the join in the flue pipe is letting smoke out... from my place to yours I hope everything is now fixed! Have a wonderful week... Megan

Maria said...

Oh, my! Sorry to hear about all the house trouble, Brenda! It certainly is no fun when unexpected things happen around the house! I hope things are much improved by now! Thinking of you, hugs!!