Monday, June 26, 2017

It's not like I've been idle.  I made five cards last week. All of which ended up in the trash. I did try to salvage them but I really messed them up. I have inked, sponged, embossed, shakered, and inlaid all to no avail. When I made the shaker I needed to have been stopped before I got so out of control. It looked pretty good until I decided I had all these great sequin like things to add to a birthday card so I added them and was so proud of myself. OMG, what was I thinking. I took a picture then took it apart but could not save it. I tried the latest from J. McGuire. How she did that I'll never know. I followed her directions EXACTLY and it resulted in a mess. That is the second card - black with the inlaid flowers. The glue squeezed out and I couldn't get the flowers to pop out, plus this is an exacting process. I didn't get the flower petals layered perfectly so that didn't work either. I used my craft knife to scrape a lot of the paper away from the flowers but couldn't get it all. It would be so pretty if I could get right. So I'm going to show them to you and get on with my life. The others are in the trash.  Be kind to one another.



10 comments:

Mrs A. said...

I think you are being really hard on yourself. I can see absolutely nothing wrong with your first card. It looks a perfect shaker to me. I also like the flowers design on the second and third cards which look to me very much like imagination crafts products. Take a pat on the back you deserve it for persiversnce alone. Hugs Mrs A.

Sue said...

Brenda, I love your shaker card, it's very eye-catching! And the design of your flower cards is so pretty.

Lisa said...

I think they look so beautiful, Brenda!! You are too hard on yourself!! The shaker is gorgeous!! And I love the inlaid flower designs!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Liz said...

You're definitely being too hard on yourself, Brenda. Your cards look lovely in photos. Inlaying on black (or dark) card I always find especially tricky if I use glue as glue really shows up if even a tiny spot gets on the black card, which is usually does! . Di, over in the Playground, introduced me to using double sided adhesive sheets. If you stick the die cut card over the adhesive sheet, big enough to cover the aperture create by the die, the flowers can be inlaid easily by just popping them in - no glue needed as the space is sticky. If you can't get hold of the adhesive sheets, try putting strips of double sided tape over the back of the die cut aperture, then when you turn it over you can easy pop the flowers in. Hope this helps. xx

LesleyG said...

I know that feeling, so frustrating, but even if we learn what not to do next time, it's been worthwhile, hugs xxx

Verna Angerhofer said...

I think they are all wonderful. They say we are our worst critics. I love the way they look!

Darnell said...

Ah, bless, Brenda! Thank you for sharing your shoula-stayed-in-bed day with us. Makes us all feel like we aren't alone when everything we touch turns to kaka. I LOVE your attitude of sweep it all in the bin and get on with another day! Right? Go you! Today will be a GRRRRRRRRREAT day!! Big hugs, Darnell

(I'm just being empathetic, but honestly, I can't tell from the photos what went horribly wrong. I'll take your word for it though!)

Sue - said...

Well they look absolutely OK to me. You're being much too hard on yourself!

Greta said...

I don't see why you think the first is terrible--looks beautiful! I can't see the glue on the second one & it looks wonderful, Brenda! I loved her video, but had an idea it'd be hard to actually do. Good for you trying out all those techniques!

Bonnie said...

I've been filling up the trash can a lot lately, so I feel your pain! These flowers are very pretty! The bright colors show so well against the black! I've overfilled shaker cards myself. It's hard to judge what is enough or too much until it's put together. Then it's too late!